We are a global higher education association dedicated to advancing faith and intellect for the common good.
As a member service, our institutions have a dedicated partner in the CCCU on the hill. We advocate on behalf of our institutions as if they have a seat at the table.
The CCCU offers faith-integrated, off-campus study programs in nine locations across the U.S. and around the world that foster studentsâ€™ intellectual, cultural, vocational, and spiritual growth.
More than just a job-finding service, the CCCU Career Center links passionate people to meaningful careers with faith-based employers, in faith-related positions, and in all sectors of higher education.
We organize numerous conferences that provide leaders on our campuses with important faith-centered professional development in their respective fields.
To fulfill our mission and meet the needs of our members, we provide unique services for administration, faculty, students, and friends of Christian higher education.
News & Publications
Stay up-to-date with the latest news from the CCCU and read articles from our most recent issue of Advance Magazine.
CCCU institutions are located around the world. Though they are diverse in size, scope, and mission, they are each committed to faith-integrated higher education.
Administrative Careers - Development/Fundraising, Administrative Careers - Other
LOCATION Hamilton, Ontario
REPORTS TO Sr. Director, Philanthropy & Finance
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
Cardus, with offices in Hamilton and Ottawa, is one of Canada’s largest and fastest growing think tanks. Speaking out of the Christian tradition, we seek constructive conversations engaging the big issues facing our lives together.
To help support our original research and quality events, we’re adding a member to our fundraising team at an intermediate level. As a charitable think tank, Cardus is funded almost entirely through the gifts of donors who share our mission.
While fundraising experience is an asset, we recognize that there is a range of experience that could equip a suitable candidate for this role. If you think you’d enjoy connecting with a community of thoughtful and entrepreneurial leaders while advancing the Cardus cause, we’d love to hear from you.
WHO WE ARE
Cardus is a non-partisan, public policy think tank and registered charity dedicated to promoting a flourishing society through independent research, robust public dialogue, and thought-provoking commentary. Drawing on 2,000 years of Christian social thought, we seek to renew North American social architecture through credible public research into big questions that require strategic collaboration to address human need. We have research programs and initiatives in the following areas: Education, Family, Law and Religious Freedom, Social Cities, Social Isolation, and Work and Economics. Cardus also publishes COMMENT Magazine and Convivium. To learn more about us, visit our website, follow us on Twitter, and check us out on Facebook.
HOW TO APPLY
We will review applications as they are received. Job posted until filled. We look forward to hearing from you.
RESPONSIBILITIES – POSITION EMPHASIS
• Maintain a portfolio of 100-150 major donors. Duties include visiting these donors, talking to them on the phone, inviting them to events, and updating them on ongoing Cardus activities. You will ask many of these people – as individuals, couples, families, foundations, and even through their companies – to financially support the good work of Cardus.
• Log and report interactions, document follow-up requirements, and track/share any other relevant information in our CRM and with the team.
• Build on the existing list of individuals interested in, or already supporting, Cardus. Develop new relationships with prospective donors; seek ways to reengage lapsed donors to Cardus. The ideal candidate will be able to identify prospective donors and engage with them in person.
• Invite donors to, as well as staff, VIP suites, host lunches, and more. (In 2018, Cardus ran over 60 events—our donors attended many of them)
• Provide support for fundraising campaigns, including capital campaigns. This may include helping to prepare materials or testing ideas.
CORE COMPETENCIES AND QUALIFICATIONS
• A post-secondary education. We have successful fundraisers on our team with theology, history, English, and business degrees. Tell us how your education has shaped your thinking and how you approach challenging tasks.
• We like best practices and are not afraid of certifications, though none of us are CFRE or CAPG-certified.
• Strong computers skills. Regular duties will include logging meetings and querying lists using Salesforce CRM, filling out expense reports in Excel, compiling a report in Microsoft Word, and communicating effectively by email.
• Previous face-to-face fundraising/marketing or sales experience is an asset. Experience making cold-calls and following up is also something we’d love to hear about.
• Excellent interpersonal, organizational, and customer service skills for communicating externally and internally within Cardus. Strong written and presentation skills are also at the top of what we’re looking for.
• Drive and ability to self-manage individual calendar and booking meetings.
• Adaptability while interacting with a range of constituents in a variety of settings is important. The ideal candidate is comfortable in both settings—and be able to put others at ease.
• Grace. Our donors, like all of humanity, are flawed and at times stressed. Most folks are kind and generous in spirit. At times, they’re not, and you’ll know how to respond appropriately.
• Ability to work efficiently towards set goals and annual targets.
• Availability to work flexible hours—duties will include occasional evening meeting or weekend event. We have busy and quiet seasons, and weeks with regular hours and weeks with odd hours.
• Availability to travel. Role will include travel throughout Ontario as well as British Columbia and Alberta. You will need a valid driver’s license and the ability to rent cars.
• Our team has a passion for Christian social thought and its ability to shape Canada. We think it’s a pretty powerful idea and we hope you will, too.
A FEW THINGS YOU MIGHT FIND GOOD TO KNOW
• Cardus has a top-notch development team, including a world-class event manager, a grant-writer-par-excellence, and a development coordinator who can help with research, list maintenance, and so much more. You’ll have support.
• We also share fundraising responsibilities across five senior staff who have deep experience in telling people what think tanks do and why they matter.
• This position reports to the Sr. Director of Philanthropy and Finance, who is based out of our Hamilton office. We’d prefer for you to be based out of the Hamilton Cardus office as well.
Cardus is a non-partisan, faith-based think tank and registered charity dedicated to promoting a flourishing society through independent research, robust public dialogue, and thought-provoking commentary.