The Computer Science Department invites applications from well-qualified candidates in computer science for a fulltime MSCS faculty position in the department. The new faculty candidate will have the opportunity to shape new courses and overall direction of the curriculum by delivering courses from a wide range of graduate computer science based on experience and interest. The development of new courses in the candidate’s area of expertise is encouraged. Applicants with a background and/or interest in data science, artificial intelligence, distributed and cloud computing, physical computing and embedded systems are highly desirable. We are using Python as the main language for most of the computer science classes. We wish to build an infrastructure to support as many current technologies such as Jupyter Notebook for teaching and research. We are primarily committed to providing the students with sufficient insights and knowledge in the topics. Primary responsibilities include teaching graduate courses in computer science including new course developments in the faculty member’s area of expertise. This is a lead faculty position in this San Jose area, and includes administration and recruiting of adjuncts with relevant expertise in their areas of interest.
Candidates may apply by sending a letter of intent, Curriculum Vitae, completed WJU Employment Application, a signed WJU Statement of Faith (Please visit: http://jessup.edu/employment/), a Statement of Integration in Faith and Learning is also required (i.e., demonstrates your faith and how you apply it to your teaching method), as well as a copy of your unofficial transcripts (official transcripts will be required upon employment), and a list of three references.
• Teach a specified number of courses per academic year in computer science core and concentration areas, evaluate and grade students’ class work, assignments, and software development projects.
• Prepare course materials including syllabi, homework assignments, projects, and handouts.
• Advise students on course selection to stay on path towards graduation.
• Engage in scholarship, consulting work in the computing industry, and/or CS pedagogical research.
• Assist department chair with curriculum evaluation, revision, and improvement.
• Potential to develop and teach online CS courses.
• Serve on academic and administrative committees that review and recommend policies, make budget decisions, and advise on hires within the department.
WORKING ENVIRONMENT: The employee agrees to promote the values and mission of WJU as a private Christ-centered University and live a life consistent with Biblical principles. All employees of the University are expected to firmly support without reservations the William Jessup University doctrinal statement of personal Christian faith and Community Covenant and Chapters. Employee’s performance shall be assessed, in part, by meaningful progress in their Biblical spiritual formation role. This includes leading class devotions, leading a SFG (Spiritual Formation Group), or performing other duties consistent with Biblical spiritual formation role. The employee shall document their Biblical spiritual formation roles in partial fulfillment of the University Service requirements in their professional development and tenure evaluation processes.
WORKING CONDITIONS: The employee is regularly in a typical office environment with adequate light and moderate noise levels. No hazardous or significantly unpleasant conditions. Air-conditioned buildings; tile, concrete and carpeted floors; adjustable workstation with ergonomic keyboard is provided.
PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES AND REQUIREMENTS OF THIS POSITION: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear and frequently required to stand, walk, sit, and use hands to handle files, computers, and phones; reach with hands and arms; stoop, and kneel. Frequent and regular repetitive movements required using the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The employee will occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
• A demonstrated, vibrant Christian faith compatible with the mission of William Jessup University.
• A commitment to Christian higher education and the integration of Christian faith, life, and the discipline of computer science.
• Earned doctorate in computer science is preferred. A master’s degree in computer science is required if doctorate is not in computer science or a closely related field.
• Demonstrated experience with curriculum development and assessment.
• Experience in computing industry and/or business preferred.
• Demonstrated commitment to teaching and research excellence
• Sound Christian testimony with the ability to integrate faith and learning
• Subscribe to the statement of faith for William Jessup University
• Subscribe to the community covenant for William Jessup University
SKILLS / ABILITIES
• Ability and willingness to work effectively with international students
• Willingness to build and teach fully online courses
• Full time faculty is a 12-month contract position with effort balanced between teaching, research activities, and supervising student projects.
• Ability to integrate Christian thought and values in all aspects.
• Ability to engage in critical thinking and exercise independent judgment.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality and manage confidential information.
• Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form.
• Ability to take initiative without direct supervision.
About William Jessup University
William Jessup University, a quality Christian University, is located in Rocklin, CA, at the base of the Sierra Foothills in Placer County and one of the fastest growing campuses in California. William Jessup University has experienced record enrollment and offers students academic excellence and rich learning communities at a state-of-the-art, award winning campus.
Founded in 1939 by William Jessup, the University moved to Rocklin, California, in August 2004. Jessup is a WSCUC-accredited private four-year university, located in the greater Sacramento area, offering degrees in many different disciplines, including Bible & Theology, Biology, Business, BS Business Administration (Online), Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Education/Liberal Studies, English, Environmental Science, Family & Children’s Ministry, History, Intercultural Studies, Kinesiology, Mathematics, Music, Pastoral Ministry, Psychology, Public Policy, Theater, Visual Arts and Youth Ministry. Jessup also has WASC-accredited master's programs: a Master's in Arts in Teaching, an online Master's in Leadership an MBA, MAEd and MA Psych (Counseling). Single-subject English and Math are also offered. Jessup also of...fers a School of Professional Studies (SPS) at its campuses in Rocklin and San Jose, with program concentrations in Business Administration, Christian Leadership and Counseling Psychology. For more information, please visit www.jessup.edu.