Theatre Design and Technical Direction Faculty Position
March 13, 2018
Full Time - Experienced
Faculty Careers - Fine and Performing Arts
Belhaven University, a Christian university committed to the ministry of integrating biblical truth and learning, is searching for the ideal candidate for Theatre Design & Technical Direction who has a heart for Christ Jesus and students, to be a part of a dynamic theatre department, in an environment of collaborative servant artistry concentrating on developing the voice of the next generation of theatre artists at the Jackson, Mississippi traditional campus.
The Theatre Designer/Technical Director shares responsibility for all technical operations in both the Center for the Arts Black Box Theatre (mainstage) and Barber Auditorium (studio).
This individual is also responsible for designing, building and implementing the sets and lights for Theatre program productions along with supervising student workers in the same areas and mentoring student designers in sound and props. In addition, the position includes responsibility for student instruction in technical theatre (typically one class per semester) serving the needs of the Theatre program at Belhaven University.
This position is responsible for:
Designs sets and lights for Theatre program productions
Coordinates with colleagues for construction, painting, rigging, lighting, sound, properties, and set pieces
Supervises students with technical responsibilities, serves as mentor to students
Develops strategies for meeting theatre productions' needs within budget
Teaches classes in technical theatre (typically one class per semester), including but not limited to Stagecraft, Stagecraft II, Scene Painting, Introduction to Theatre Design, and Stage Props
Coordinates set-up and technical requirements of events and performances held in the Center for the Arts Black Box Theatre
Communicates effectively with BU students, staff, and public
Participates in on-going assessment activities for the program and the university
M.F.A. required, in theatre design or technical direction or related field; Ph.D. considered with extensive experience in theatre design or technical direction; previous college teaching experience preferred; record of ongoing professional and/or academic activity in theatre design or technical direction; ability to teach and mentor students; experience with working in unique theatre spaces is desirable.
Compensation and rank are commensurate with qualifications and experience. The University supplements major medical insurance. A 403b retirement plan is available for eligible employees to contribute pre-tax dollars with Belhaven University matching up to 8% of annual salary.
- Letter of intent, including explanation of your interest in Christian higher education, and how your background fulfills each of the Responsibilities and Qualifications described above
- Three to four paragraph statement of how you would integrate the Biblical worldview into all instructional content
- Please prepare a brief account (no more than 750 words) of your spiritual pilgrimage including the time and circumstances surrounding your becoming a believer in Christ, your current relationship with Christ and describe your personal faith in a non-creedal form. Please click on this link-http://www.belhaven.edu/belhaven/employment_pdfs/LetterOfEmploymentCommitment.pdf - to review Belhaven University's Commitment Statement including our employee expectations. Should you receive a job offer you will be asked to sign accepting this commitment.
- Describe how you are active currently in a local church
- Names of four references (including your local pastor) – please provide phone numbers, addresses and nature of relationship
- Official transcripts (all undergraduate and graduate)