40 hours, 12 months (with occasional overtime as approved)
Reports to: Assistant Director of Admission
The Houghton College Office of Admission is seeking to fill an Admission Counselor or Senior Admission Counselor role. The objective of the Office of Admission is to provide a high-quality, personalized admission experience to prospective students and families. The Admission Counselor plays a vital role in fulfilling this mission. As such, the Admission Counselor oversees the recruitment of new students from a geographic region or population. The Senior Admission Counselor also oversees select special projects and strategic initiatives.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Serve as a vital member of a highly-collaborative, team-oriented admission office
· Cultivate relationships with applicants and families
· Consistently strive to meet and exceed admission goals and objectives
· Evaluate applications for admission and make recommendations to the admission committee
· Assist with on-campus events and conduct off-campus recruitment
· Partner with faculty, staff, and students in the recruitment process
· Supervise a team of admission interns and assign responsibilities accordingly
· Perform other duties as assigned
· Bachelor’s degree
· Computer and database management skills including Microsoft Office (Excel, Access, PowerPoint)
· Excellent oral, written, and presentational skills
· Valid driver’s license
· Ability to lift 20 pounds; sedentary work; sitting for extended periods
· Evening and weekend work required including multi day travel and admission events
· Training/experience in admissions, counseling/advising or relevant higher education experience
Founded in 1883, Houghton College is a Christian liberal arts college in the Wesleyan tradition. Few colleges have so successfully combined the inspiration and strength of the Christian spirit with a contemporary, academically excellent, liberal arts education. The overall student body of 1,100 represents 40 states and Canadian provinces and 25 foreign countries.
Houghton is a member of the Am...erican Association of Colleges & Universities, the Annapolis Group and the Council of Christian Colleges and Universities. US News & World Report's “America's Best Colleges" Guide has ranked Houghton among the Tier 1 National Liberal Arts institutions. Houghton is also ranked in the top 3 percent of colleges nationwide according to the fourth-annual ranking of America's Best Colleges, compiled by Forbes and the Center for College Affordability and Productivity. Additional information on Houghton College can be found at: www.houghton.edu.
The college has an operating budget of $35 million.