Location: Montreat, North Carolina
Start Date: No later than August, 2017
Summary: The Reference and Instruction Librarian is responsible for the development and implementation of the library instruction program and for the provision of reference services to all constituents of Montreat College. This is a twelve-month position with faculty status, rank, and may be tenure track depending on qualifications.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaches information use skills and research strategies to all Montreat College students.
- Directs the library instruction program for Montreat College.
- Provides embedded library instruction via Moodle.
- Provides online library instruction sessions.
- Collaborates with library staff to provide reference services, through traditional and electronic means, to all Montreat College faculty and students.
- Provides library orientation for entering and transfer students.
- Serves as library liaison to distance learners.
- Provides training sessions for the faculty on the use of library resources and classroom technologies.
- Creates and manages instructional web-based content, including videos, tutorials, and online research guides.
- Contributes to library web page design, content, and updates.
- Assesses library instruction program, prepares usage reports on library instruction and reference services.
- Serves on committees, attends faculty meetings, and performs other responsibilities as a faculty member.
- Seeks professional development opportunities, maintains membership in appropriate professional organizations, attends professional meetings.
Successful candidate will demonstrate a professional and personal commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Montreat College. That commitment includes agreement with the published Statement of Faith found here: http://www.montreat.edu/about-us/faith-statement/.
The successful candidate will also demonstrate support for Christian liberal arts education and the specific ability to integrate faith and the discipline in a compelling, thoughtful manner.
Demonstrated classroom teaching skills, strong public service orientation, database search skills, creativity in program development and service delivery, and an ability to work collaboratively and collegially with faculty as well as independently.
Minimum of a Master’s degree in Library or Information Science, or related field.
Experience in library instruction and reference service required. Teaching experience in an academic library setting preferred. Experience with library databases and related technologies preferred. Experience working with distance learners preferred.
Application Requirements/How to Apply:
Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Candidates are requested to send the following materials:
1) Letter of Application
2) Curriculum Vitae
3) Transcripts of Undergraduate and Graduate Work
4) Statement of Faith
5) Statement of Philosophy of Christian Higher Education
6) List of Three References with Contact Information
Send materials by email to:
Dr. Gregory Kerr
Vice President for Academic Affairs
About Montreat College:
Montreat College is a Christian liberal arts college accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools to offer masters, bachelors, and associates degrees. The main campus is located in the Blue Ridge Mountains fifteen miles east of Asheville, North Carolina, a region recognized as one of the most attractive living environments in the United States. Additional locations in Asheville, Charlotte, and other cities supplement the main campus. The College is committed to Christ-centered teaching and learning, and is a member of the Council for Christian Colleges & Universities.