CLASSIFICATION: FULL-TIME – STAFF – SALARIED
DEPT: SCHOOL OF EXTENDED EDUCATION
The Academic Dean reports to the Executive Director for the School of Extended Education. The position provides academic leadership and direction for the School’s curriculum, faculty, governance procedures, assessment and planning activities, and accreditation and compliance efforts.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
(All details relate to the nontraditional programs of the School. )
- Academic Leadership – Provides leadership for the School’s program directors, full-time and adjunct faculty, faculty development personnel, and compliance staff. Works with the Executive Director to establish faculty leadership positions to oversee programs and academic disciplines, as needed.
- Curriculum Management – Leads the development of new programs. Evaluates and manages existing curricula through program directors. Works with the Center for Online Learning to establish and enforce standards for course development. Establishes annual and semester course scheduling procedures for online programs through program directors and site-based programs through the Center for Regional & Extension Education. Ensures the review and approval of all curricular changes, including programmatic and course-level, through the School’s Council and committees. Creates, evaluates, and maintains academic articulation agreements.
- Faculty Oversight – Manages the recruitment, hiring and evaluation of all full-time and adjunct faculty. Reviews and approves all faculty hires in the online and site-based programs. Evaluates faculty load and develops strategies to balance instructional and programmatic demands. Ensures the implementation of a faculty evaluation procedures, including course evaluations, faculty activities contracts/reports, and remediation (as needed). Provides oversight for faculty development and training initiatives through the Center, Excellence & Creativity in Teaching, including development of long-term plans, pedagogical resources, training events, and faculty mentorship programs. Provides oversight of faculty scholarship development by approving release time and resources to advance theory and practice. Oversee the faculty rank and promotion process. Works with the Executive Director to manage faculty contracts and files.
- Governance – Works with the Executive Director to develop and document governance procedures, including the development of the Extended Education Faculty Handbook and other policy-related documents. Ensures compliance with governance procedures through the Extended Education Council and standing committees. Support the Executive Director in reporting activities to the Extended Education Committee of the Board of Trustees.
- Student Relations – Approves or delegates approval of student transfer credit to support advising and registrar personnel. Manages the student complaints process related to programs, courses, and faculty.
- Assessment & Planning – Leads initiatives among the School’s faculty and program directors to improve curriculum, instruction, and student learning. Establishes and oversees academic assessment activities, including the annual collection and interpretation of student learning data. Prepares annual reports on findings. Complies with Institutional Effectiveness standards. Ensure broad-based involvement from faculty and program directors in assessment and planning activities. Works with the Executive Director to develop and track the School’s strategic plan.
- Accreditation & Compliance – Supports the Executive Director and Accreditation Liaison in matters related to regional and specialized accreditation and its review and approval of nontraditional education programs and off-campus instructional sites. Provides direction and oversight for the Compliance Office, which manages state authorization projects for extension education sites, regional campus, and online learning.