Function: Under the direction of the Director of Residence Life, the Resident Director is responsible for the total administration and direction of a residence hall and the supervision of a staff of Resident Advisors/Apartment Coordinators. Our mission in Residence Life is to glorify God through the cultivation of an intentional Christian community committed to helping students:
- Grow in understanding
- Experience community and
Specifically, we desire to help students Grow in understanding of the Gospel, their identity and vocation; Experience community by developing relationships, living authentically, acquiring practical skills, appreciating diversity and cultivating character; and Serve faithfully their neighbor, community and world.
Under the direction of the Director of Campus Recreation, the Recreation-Intramural (Rec-IM) Coordinator is responsible for supervision of campus recreation-intramural programs, events, and related facilities.
Description of Resident Director Duties and Tasks
- Maximize the leadership development, job performance and growth of Resident Advisors/Apartment Coordinators through weekly staff meetings and in-depth mentoring relationships.
- Assist the Director of Residence Life in the recruitment, selection and training of residence hall staff members.
- Assist the Director of Residence Life in the planning and teaching of In-Service training for Resident Advisors and Apartment Coordinators.
- Plan and coordinate educational, spiritual and social programming in the hall that serves to develop the whole person.
- Counsel residents with personal and emotional concerns and intervene in crisis situations.
- Provide confrontation and discipline when faced with unhealthy relationships or life styles, coordinate the disciplinary actions taken in the residence hall and participate in disciplinary hearings in the Office of Student Life.
- Attempt to be acquainted with all students in the hall and work to develop continued rapport with students.
- Communicate, interpret and implement campus policies and procedures to hall residents.
- Direct all administrative functions for the residence hall including check in/check out procedures, room changes, damage reports, maintenance work orders, room condition inspections and other tasks as assigned by the Director of Residence Life.
- Submit periodic reports to the Director of Residence Life.
- Participate in all student development staff meetings, Resident Directors’ meetings, meetings with the Director of Residence Life and all In-Service training.
- Contribute to the professional development of the RD and Student Life staff, keeping apprised of new developments in student affairs and higher education.
- Maintain memberships and involvement in professional organizations.
- Initiate contacts and working relationships with the faculty and other campus resources in order to expand the learning impact of the residence hall program.
- Serve as liaison and referral source between students and the Gordon administration.
- Be on call daily in your hall Monday-Thursday and participate in an On-Call rotation for Friday-Sunday while the halls are open.
- Remain on campus to close the residence hall for Christmas and spring vacations. Return from Christmas vacation to attend the RD prayer and planning time before the semester starts, and return from spring vacation at least one-half day before the halls open.
- Resident Directors are encouraged to take one weekend per month away from campus.
- Other reasonable and necessary duties as assigned by the Director of Residence Life, Dean of Student Care, and/or VP of Student Life.